With the Independence day upon us, the entire country will celebrate it with joy and unity in a true Indian fashion. It is undoubtedly an emotional day for we Indians as homage is paid to those people who contributed their sweat and blood to make India an independent country.
People with diverse cultural and religious backgrounds residing in every nook and cranny of the nation come together to celebrate this important day.
So, on the occasion of 15th of August, we have come up with 15 truly amazing facts about India and Indians.
We are quite sure that you wouldn't know almost 80% of these.
So here we go!
1. The Indian Tri-Color signifies...
- The top-most saffron strip signifies sacrifice and bravery
- The middle white strip stands for truth, peace, and purity
- The green strip means fertility, faith, and valour
- The Ashok Chakra implies righteousness
2. More than 100 million people come to India's "Kumbh Mela" Festival, the world's biggest gathering of humans.
3. The world's biggest family lives together in India: A man with 39 wives and 94 children
4. India was the first to detect water on the Moon. India’s first Moon Satellite Chandrayaan-1 took the honour.
5. A con man named Natwarlal in India repeatedly "SOLD" the Taj Mahal, the Indian parliament and various other heritage sites.
He was sentenced to 113 years but managed to escape prison 9 times. The last time, he was 84 years old.
6. The Golden Temple in India feeds a vegetarian meal to over 100,000 people a day regardless of race, religion and class.
7. Indian housewives hold 11% of the World's Gold. That is more than the reserves of the U.S., IMF, Switzerland and Germany put together.
8. In 2009, a doctor in India removed 172,155 stones from a patient's left kidney during a three-hour surgery.
(source: Guinness World Records)
9. A man named Rajendra Singh revived 5 rivers and brought water back to 1000 villages in India using native water-preservation techniques.
10. The village of Shani Shingnapur had no doors, locks or crime for over 400 years until 2010.
(source: Indian Express)
11. India is the 2nd largest importer of arms but it has never invaded or attacked any country.
(source: The Hindu)
12. Indian Railway employs more than a 1.4 million people, making it the largest employer of India
13. The workforces of Colombia and India enjoy a leisurely 18 days off per year, making them the two countries with the most public holidays in the world.
14. India is expected to be the world's most populous country by 2050. With 1.6 billion people, it will almost equal the U.S. and China's population combined.
(source: PEW Research Centre)
15. And finally, we Indians are no less than Amazing and our nation is the greatest example of Unity in Diversity